Posted On March 26, 2015

Volunteers Needed for April 11th Electronics Recycling & Household Toxins Drop-off

The City of Waterloo and the Black Hawk County Solid Waste Management Commission request the help of volunteers at the upcoming drop-off event on Saturday, April 11th at the Waterloo Waste Water Treatment Plant (3505 Easton Ave). The event will give county residents the opportunity to dispose of household hazardous materials and to recycle old computers and tv's. Thus a volunteer force is needed to pull off the event and keep the lines rolling. The event will likely see 800- 1,000 cars during a five hour period, so many hands make light work. Volunteers (18 & older) and are asked to register ahead of time with the Waste Trac Education Team at 266-8722 or email Tammy Turner at

For complete volunteer details, click here to view the Volunteer Poster.

Posted On March 26, 2015

On Thursday, March 26th, contractor will be closing the 500 block of S. Hackett Road for water main work. This block is located between University Avenue and Maynard Avenue. This closure is expected to be in place for approximately one week.

Posted On March 19, 2015

The City of Waterloo Sanitation Department has temporarily closed the recycle drop-off site located at the Leisure Services Complex, 1101 Campbell Ave., due to construction in that area and safety concerns for citizens. Further information regarding this or a possible alternate site will be forthcoming.

Citizens are encouraged to utilize the other recycle sites available throughout the city. These locations are:

  • Pantry Express – Bishop and Independence Ave.
  • Waste Management Services – 3505 Easton Ave.
  • Tom Emrich’s Flooring Gallery – 1234 Flammang Drive
  • Fire Station #1 – 425 East 3rd Street

Questions may be directed to the City of Waterloo Sanitation Department, 291-4455.

Posted On February 20, 2015


A Consolidated Plan One-Year Action Plan will be submitted to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) by the City of Waterloo, on or about May 15, 2015. The One-Year Action Plan includes an application for about $1,128,646 in Federal Community Development Block Grant funds and $18,200 in Program Income and recaptured funds. The plan also includes an application for about $377,585 in Federal HOME funds and Program Income and recaptured funds of approximately $38,254. All dollar amounts are subject to change. The program year for which the funds are intended begins July 1, 2015. The funds will be used for a variety of activities including public services, housing rehabilitation, emergency repairs, new construction, rental deposit assistance, and public facilities improvements.

None of the activities will cause displacement of persons or businesses from their present location. In the event such displacement would occur, an Anti-displacement and Relocation Assistance Plan has been developed outlining assistance available. This plan will also be available for public review in the Community Development Office.

The Community Development Board approved a proposed budget on February 17, 2015 which is posted on our website at A 30-day public comment period will begin March 2, 2015 and end on March 31, 2015. Comments will be incorporated into the final document submitted to HUD.

Comments and/or questions may be directed in writing to Rudy D. Jones, Community Development Director, Community Development Board, Carnegie Annex - Suite 202, 620 Mulberry Street, Waterloo, Iowa 50703, phone (319) 291-4429, or by email:

Posted On January 29, 2015


The City of Waterloo has moved its Sanitation Department administrative operations from the Waste Management Services offices on Easton Avenue to the Public Works facility located at 625 Glenwood Street.

Customers with any questions regarding garbage collection, recycling, yard waste or the scheduling of bulk item pick-ups should contact the Sanitation Department at 291-4455 or visit the Public Works facility.

All Sanitation Department functions previously coordinated at Waste Management Services are now being administered from the Glenwood Street location. Hours of operation at Public Works are 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (except holidays).

Posted On December 29, 2014

The Waterloo Building Inspection Department offers Residential Contractor Exams for those who want to become a licensed contractor with the City of Waterloo.

Available Exam Dates for 2015 are as follows:

  • Saturday, January 17, 2015
  • Saturday, February 21, 2015
  • Saturday, March 21, 2015
  • Saturday, April 18, 2015
  • Saturday, May 16, 2015
  • Saturday, June 20, 2015
  • Saturday, July 18, 2015
  • Saturday, August 15, 2015
  • Saturday, September 19, 2015
  • Saturday, October 17, 2015
  • Saturday, November 21, 2015
  • Saturday, December 19, 2015
Exam times will be 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and will be given in the Mollenhoff Room – 2nd Floor – City Hall


Residential Contractor Exam Resources
Procedure for Licensed Residential Contractor (pdf) | Residential Testing Requirements and Application (pdf)

Posted On December 18, 2015

Check out 2015's yardwaste & recycle schedule

Posted On July 15, 2014

Landlord Rental Information

Posted On May 29, 2014

The City is serious about getting rid of graffiti. Please report graffiti as soon as you see it. The sooner we are able to respond and remove graffiti, the more our community will send a message that we will not tolerate graffiti in our City.
Graffiti complaint number 319-291-3820.

Posted On January 2, 2014

Check out 2014's yardwaste & recycle schedule

Posted On October 21, 2013

The Office of Healthy Homes and Lead Hazard Control has awarded the City of Waterloo additional funding to eliminate lead-based paint hazards in the homes of eligible Waterloo residents. This program is administered through the Community Development office in conjunction with the single-family, owner-occupied Housing Rehabilitation Program.

Currently, the City of Waterloo is accepting calls from homeowners who may be eligible for assistance. If you believe lead-based paint could be a hazard to your family, you are encouraged to apply for assistance.

Qualifications include:

  • the home must be located within the city limits of Waterloo
  • dwelling must be owner-occupied, and built before 1978
  • there must be children living in the home, age five years or younger, and
  • owner/occupants must meet income eligibility requirements listed below

1 $2,937.50 $35,250.00
2 $3,354.17 $40,250.00
3 $3,775.00 $45,300.00
4 $4,191.67 $50,300.00
5 $4,529.17 $54,350.00
6 $4,862.50 $58,350.00
7 $5,200.00 $62,400.00
8 $5,533.33 $66,400.00
9 $5,693.33 $68,320.00
10 $6,018.67 $72,224.00

Please contact the Waterloo Community Development office at 291-4429 if you are concerned with lead-hazards in your home. Staff will be available to review your qualifications and determine whether your name can be placed on the waiting list for assistance.