Planning and Zoning
PPZC Agenda and Packet
- to promote the health, safety, morals, order, convenience, prosperity and general welfare;
- to conserve and protect the value of property throughout the City and to encourage the most appropriate use of land; to lessen congestion in the streets;
- to prevent the overcrowding of land;
- to avoid undue concentration of population;
- and to facilitate the adequate provision of transportation, water, sewerage, schools, parks and other public requirements.
To implement these objectives, the City of Waterloo has adopted the City of Waterloo Zoning Ordinance, a Subdivision Ordinance, and a Comprehensive Plan. As part of the Comprehensive Plan, the City of Waterloo has developed a Future Land Use map, which provides a general guide for the growth and development of the City.
The Waterloo Planning and Zoning Department can assist you in answering a variety of questions that deal with:
Why your land is zoned a particular way.
Confirm if your property is located in a floodplain.
Inform you on the status of city-owned property.
Advise as to what zoning status is needed to operate a business.
Let you know the zoning guidelines for running a home-based business.
Building rules and regulations for your property.
For questions relating to planning, zoning, historic preservation, zoning variances, flood plain and property development or redevelopment, please contact our office.
For help identifying available buildings and sites in Waterloo, contact on of our Economic Development professionals for a confidential consultation.
Planning, Programming and Zoning Commission
These are the items listed on the Planning, Programming and Zoning Commission agenda as of 12:00 noon on the Friday preceding the Planning, Programming and Zoning Commission meeting. Items may have been added that are listed on the official agenda posted at City Hall.
View the Agenda and Packet 01-09-24
View the Agenda and Packet 12-12-23
View the Agenda and Packet 11-14-23
View the Agenda and Packet 10-10-23
Board of Adjustment
These are the items listed on the Board of Adjustment agenda as of 12:00 noon on the Friday preceding the Board of Adjustment meeting. Items may have been added that are listed on the official agenda posted at City Hall.
- View the February meeting agenda and packet here.
- View the February Special meeting agenda and packet here.
- View the January meeting agenda and packet here.
- View the November meeting agenda and packet here.
- View past meetings on our YouTube Channel here.
- Noel Anderson, Director Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aric Schroeder, City Planner Email: email@example.com
- Tim Andera, Planner II/Economic Development Specialist Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Adrienne Miller, Planner II/Economic Development Specialist Email: email@example.com
- John Dornoff, Planner II Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Seth Hyberger, Planner I Email: email@example.com
- Lexi Schneider, Planner I Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Emily Seliga, Administrative Assistant Email: Emily.Seliga@waterloo-ia.org